Friday, December 3, 2010

"We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, 'Why did this happen to me?' unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way."

Today we found out that Jeremy's (my boyfriend of 6 1/2 years) grandmother (who raised him since he was abandoned by both of his parents) fell and broke her humerus, dislocated her hip, which she already has a fake hip, and has some kind of infection that they can't figure out what kind of infection and where it is coming from.  She had a stroke last week so while this new information is a surprise, we already knew her health was in decline.

She is 90 years old and has lived a wonderful, luxurious, happy lifestyle. I have only met her twice, but she was a fantastic woman from the very first time I met her. Over the 6 1/2 years I have known her, her health had started to decline, as she had to have knee and hip replacements, then she had problems with a hernia.  Besides that, she was still driving at age 84.  She has never met Phoenix since she hasn't been healthy enough to travel from New Hampshire to North Carolina and we haven't had the means to do so either.  I have pestered Jeremy several times telling him that we should go see her but he always blows me off. Tonight I found out why.

When Jeremy's grandfather (who he calls his father) was dying, Jeremy took care of him.  He fed him, bathed him, did everything for him.  He said that this forever scarred him for life.  That the last he ever saw of his grandfather was him being wheeled out on a stretcher.  He said that he doesn't want to remember his grandmother in that way.  Jeremy said he wants to remember her the way she was before she was ill.  The times they drove down to Disney, the time he left his special bear at a restaurant and they had to drive 4 hours to go back and get him, the times when she would tell him to turn down his rap music, or even when she threw away some of his CDs because she felt they were inappropriate.  I just feel sad for him that he didn't have a chance at a "normal" parental lifestyle.  I mean his grandparents were the best parents he could have ever had, but he has to be burdened with their age and this kills me, it really truly kills me.

No comments:

Post a Comment